Monday, June 22, 2015

Why do I like to garden?

The rain is pouring down outside. It's nice to have the rain though. My plants weren't doing well in this heat. It's been in the 90s and even the 100s this past week and my plants aren't taking it too well. When I first started my garden my mom said, "Adrian, we have raised beds at our house, we can water them for you and you won't have to worry about them." But I said something that I think may have surprised her...



I said, "No, I want to watch my creation grow. Day by day I want to go outside and see what I grew all by myself." I haven't put any fertilizers, bug killer or anything on them really. Each day I go to my teeny tiny garden area and look for bugs and worms. I pull them weeds growing up and I water them twice a day. It gives me a good feeling to know that I can actually grow something in my own little garden. It makes me happy and feel closer to God.

Speaking of which, a few weeks ago I was at the fruit stand and I started talking with an older woman. She told me that when she is in her garden she feels at peace and closer to God, which really got me to thinking, maybe that's why I enjoy it so much, it gives me peace that I am helping something to grow that God put on this Earth. Maybe He is smiling at my little garden or teaching me to care for it so i'll be able to look over a bigger garden when the Farmer and I get married. 400 acres is what the Farmer has and i will have to get out there and take care of our family garden. Which I don't really want to have any chemicals touching them. I want my garden to be as simple and organically grown as possible. Maybe I will sell them at the market to the customers who ask for no chemical foods. You'd be surprised at the number of people who will ask where organic food is but when we say that we can't sell it as organic they say that they don't care, as long as there are no chemicals, herbicides etc. on them. Many people just want to feed their family things that won't hurt their insides when they eat it. Do I blame them? Definitely not. I want to be able to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment