Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A good book and a recipe

Photo Credit: Screen Doors and Sweet Tea
After working all day Monday and all day Tuesday it is time for me to stick my nose in a good book and what better book than a old fashioned Southern cookbook? So today my little nose is stuck in "Screen Doors and Sweet Tea". Paula Deen even said, "This is one cookbook I would proudly have in my kitchen! It has great information and wonderful recipes!" I first saw it in a small bookstore in the lovely city of Savannah it was about $30 and I debated on whether I wanted to spend that much on a cookbook for almost fifteen minutes. I stood staring at the cover, drooling over the photos thinking about what The Farmer would say if I could somehow create some of these beautiful works of art. I would gain so many brownie points! I grabbed it off the shelf thinking of how I could use this cookbook for the rest of my life. Has it been worth it? Yes! This cookbook has saved my city girl turned farm wife butt more than you'll ever know.


I have almost studied this book and there's so many recipes that I have fallen in love with. One recipe that I would like to share with you from this wonderful book is one for Pimiento Cheese Sandwiches.

PIMIENTO CHEESE:
The kind not bought in a store

This makes approximately 2 cups


  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon finely chopped sage
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard 
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 ounces Colby cheese, grated (2 cups)
  • 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (2 cups) 
  • 1 (4-ounce) jar chopped pimientos, drained 
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Hot pepper sauce
In a medium bowl, with a rubber spatula, combine the mayonnaise, sage, lemon juice, mustard, cayenne,and Worcestershire sauce. 
Add the two cheeses and pimientos, blending thoroughly to combine. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use. 

This recipe is perfect for cookouts, after-school snacks, and even picnics. It will definitely repay you in the end by saving you time and money since many of the things you can find in the back of the fridge. So pop open a coke and sit on the front porch with your sandwich. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment