Sunday, September 6, 2015

Question & Answer: Am I ready for the farm life?

Q&A:


I received an e-mail yesterday with this message enclosed: 

"I am in a long distance relationship with a farmer,we've dated for two years and lately we have been talking and I have decided to move to his farm to be with him. But there's one problem and that is that he doesn't know if I can handle the farm life. He keeps asking me if I think I can handle it and after saying yes so much, I can only wonder when he will be convinced that I can. How do I know if I am really ready for the farm life? Anything will help, thanks."

I've been there. Believe me. Here's my advice:


I would go on a "vacation" for eh, maybe a month. Go stay with the farmer all day and help around the farm. My Farmer asked me a GAZILLION times before we got serious if I could handle it, don't take it the wrong way though. They just don't want to get too serious then you realize you don't want that life and leave them. It's almost like it's in the farmer's girlfriend application: "Can you handle it?" 

If you can handle these things then you can handle the farm life:

1. He won't always be home for dinner.. or lunch... or breakfast. You'll possibly spend those times eating your bagel, planning your day and sipping on coffee watching him from the kitchen window. You can however, fix him light meals and take to him throughout the day, not anything too heavy or big because heat+big meals+work= tummy-ache.  

2.You'll probably spend date nights on a tractor in the buddy seat. Many girls think this is the worst possible date ever in the history of dates. I find it so much fun because we can sit in an enclosed space and I can talk...and talk.. and talk and there's no where for him to run to. He has to sit there and listen to me talk for hours sometimes. 

3. You should NEVER EVER tell him that he should choose between farming and you. Farming is his life, don't get me wrong, you are too, but farming is his life. Don't expect him to have a 9-5 job and still be happy. 

4. When he comes in late from the fields, greet him with open arms. If you're already in bed, hug up to him whenever he crawls into bed (of course that's after he's gotten a shower). Don't get mad at him for not being at home when you wanted him at home.

5. Understand that his schedule will come first. If you plan to go out to eat with your friends and they invite both of you, you'll need to run it by him first. If the kids are having a program at school, if he can't go because he's working, don't fuss, be understanding and patient. 

So that's my advice to you, if you can handle these things you can handle farm life.



****** If you'd like to ask me any questions, you can e-mail me at adrianroseowen1@gmail.com or you can write your question in the comment section of my Q&A posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment