Friday, November 6, 2015

Cross Carriers

Conrad Irving, The Tifton Cross Carrier
Photo Credits: Tifton Gazette's Facebook
I was on my way to class awhile back and I passed by a man walking on the side of the road, I literally had to take a double take. This man was carrying a wooden cross down the road. My first thought was how carrying that cross may hurt his shoulder. My second thought was how Jesus carried a wooden cross too. I guess I didn't really think much about it after that until I saw the same man again. This time, I thought 'He has to be thirsty. How could he do that in this heat?'. Again, I didn't think much more about it after that. Then today I was scrolling through my newsfeed as I do every morning I saw a photo of another man carrying a cross. He was carrying it across the country. I quickly found my way to his Facebook page that follows his journey...







Mitchell Manning, the cross country cross carrier,
Photo Credit: Cross Walk America's Facebook Page 
On the Facebook page, "Cross Walk America" you'll find the journey of Mitchell Manning another  literal cross carrier. I plan on following his journey on Facebook, so far, God has provided people on his way that would give him places to sleep, things to drink and food to eat. Go follow his journey on Facebook so we can talk about it together!

The man I would see in Tifton on my way to my class is preacher, Conrad Irving. Here's the caption of his photo on the Tifton Gazette's Facebook page:
" In 2006, preacher Conrad Irving, who lived in Gainesville, Florida, at the time, walked from Gainesville to Atlanta carrying a large wooden cross on his shoulder. Nine years later, Irving is 59 and a resident of Tifton. He began walking again with the cross Thursday. Having already walked a couple of hours on Magnolia Drive before speaking to The Gazette, Irving said he was just out reminding people of Jesus' sacrifice. Smiling, Irving said he planned to walk the streets of Tifton and to minister to people. He said when people see the cross, they automatically identify with Jesus. "
 Seeing the people who will physically carry a cross through the elements will really make you think.

So, what do you think about these men who will carry the cross through the heat, the rain, and not even blink an eye? I personally feel that they are courageous and the message they show through their actions say more than any words could ever say. People hear about Jesus carrying the cross, but sometimes the words don't mean much until you see the blood, sweat and tears that have to be shed firsthand.

I want your thoughts, let me know what you think in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment