Saturday, November 7, 2015

Sweet Tea & A Trip Up North

Mint Sweet Tea
Photo Credit: Food Network
A few Summers ago I went up North, Pennsylvania actually. I've always had this love for traveling especially up there. The weather is actually cool year round up there. It was about 70 degrees and everybody that lived up there was hot and fanning and I'm over here like this is feeling amazing! I don't think they realize how hot it really is down here. It's NOVEMBER. You know, Fall? Where we are supposed to be wearing uggs and jackets? Leggings and layers? Yeah, the past weekend I have worn shorts and Tee shirts. It is SO hot here in South Georgia! Anyway, I had a rather funny experience last time I was up there. I began craving some sweet tea. I have sweet tea with just about every single meal. It's a staple down here. So I get up there in a Mexican restaurant and I'm surrounded by my family, the ones from here and the ones from up there and me and that waitress about had it out... then I realized something that I had never been faced with before...
She had no idea what I meant when I ordered sweet tea. I said, "Sweet Tea." She looked at me kind of funny, well, I guess we both were looking at each other funny. She goes, "Ice Tea?" I said, "Uh, Yeah? Iced Sweet Tea." She gave me the look again, "You mean, iced tea?" I finally just ordered water with lemon. I didn't understand till later. 
Anyway, today I realized that I hadn't given y'all my all time favorite sweet tea recipe. It's of course, Paula Deen's. I ate at her restaurant a couple years ago, The Lady and Sons, in Savannah and although I wasn't crazy about my meal or the service. Somehow I managed to work my way through four glasses of sweet tea. Here's her recipe for that sweet southern tea:

Southern Mint Iced Tea
  • 1 quart water
  • 4 family size tea bags (recommended: Luzzianne)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 bunch mint leaves
  • 1 lemon, slices for garnish

In a large pot bring the water to a boil. Remove pot from heat, add the tea bags, cover with a lid, and allow tea to steep in water for 20 minutes. Take a 1 gallon jug and pour the sugar into the jug and cover with some hot tap water. Stir the sugar around to dissolve while the tea is steeping. Once the tea has steeped, remove the lid and the tea bags. Pour the tea into the jug with the sugar, stir, and place the tea bags back into the jug. Stir the tea well, making sure the sugar dissolves. Fill the jug with cold water to yield 1 gallon.

To serve, pour each glass of tea and garnish with a slice of lemon and mint leaves.

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen

Also, I don't recommend leaving out the mint. It just makes it! If you have any kind of a green thumb you can grow mint in your garden and have it on hand all the time so you don't have to go searching around town for some. 

If you're a fan of tea like myself you'll be interested in some of the products below, let me know what you think of the tea and I want to know what you think if you try out some of the products below! 


No comments:

Post a Comment