Monday, January 4, 2016

How to grow your Faith

Last night The Farmer and I were on the way home from dinner when somehow we got on the subject of God. He knew something was bothering me even though I didn't even know how to put it into words. I finally just blurted out, "How do I get closer to God?" I think I may have caught him off guard because he sat there kind of quiet thinking of a good answer to come back at me with. Then he said one simple word, "Pray." I raised a brow, "I do pray, still feel like I'm talking to myself."  We began talking about it some more and he just told me to keep praying until something happens. So today, I got my answer to my question.

For the first time since I was twelve I took my new bible to church. I got a journaling bible for Christmas and I am LOVING it! I sat there following along with the preacher. He read out the ten commandments then told us to turn over to Mark 12. It says, "And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these."
Which made me think.. 
In the movie, "Little Boy" Pepper a.k.a. Little Boy has a rough time when his dad is forced to go fight in the war. He grows to hate the Japanese "Japs" thanks to the war and his older brother. During church one Sunday the pastor is talking about how by having faith the size of a mustard seed you can move mountains. (I'm getting to my point, I promise.)  While taking a mustard seed from the grocery store he literally runs into a "Jap". He ends up getting in trouble after his brother and him are caught trying to burn the old man's house down. Little Boy is taken to the pastor where he asks how he can grow his faith, the pastor gives him "The ancient list", he writes at the bottom "Befriend Hashimoto". The boy is obviously upset that the pastor is telling him to befriend a Japanese man. Then the pastor  replies,
 "If you have the slightest bit of hatred in your heart, your faith will not work."
Which is quite true if you think about it. I feel like maybe my anger towards people who've done me wrong in the past is hindering my faith. So, I guess I'm just going to have to "Befriend Hashimoto".

No comments:

Post a Comment