Monday, February 22, 2016

Garden Time- Improving your soil!

The weather is getting less chilly here in South Georgia and I, the biggest garden planting rebel there ever was, have already began planting. Saturday morning, Bella and I went out to the garden and began weeding it, we turned the soil over in the bed and we planted some basil seeds. Now that I've begun on my planting I can't help but to worry that it'll end up like last year. Literally the laughing stock of plants. My tomato plants were worthy of a good cry!

Anyway, I decided this year is going to be different, I'm going to began composting. Well, sort of. I don't really like the idea of having a big pile of random nastiness in my yard somewhere. I don't like the things that comes with compost like bugs and maggots etc. So, I've found a method to make the soil better WITHOUT the big pile of compost.

You use coffee grounds, egg shells, and banana peels. 

Egg Shells:
Egg shells need to be cleaned out, after that let them dry a couple days then crush them, place them in the soil. A good use for these that I will ABSOLUTELY, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT be using this for is slugs and snails. You can place a circle of egg shells around your plants and no slithery, slimy pests will be able to get to them. It's like us walking on broken glass, it won't be a pleasant experience.

Coffee Grounds: 
Coffee Grounds can be added to the soil sirectly. They're a good fertilizer and add organic matter, improving drainage and other good things! Used coffee grounds won't affect the PH level unless used in concentrated amounts. It is also good as a mulch and keeps earthworms happy. 

Banana Peels:
Cut your banana peels up into small pieces then add them to the soil. It will create organic matter which will give you a well- drained soil full of earthworms. They will add nutrients like calcium, magnesium, sulfur, phosphates, potassium, and sodium. 

What do earthworms offer to my garden? when earthworms eat organic materials, they digest their meal and produce an EXCREMENT which helps enrich the soil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment