Sunday, July 17, 2016

In the Kitchen with The Lady

Last night was quite the night. I had a full meltdown and ended up in the bathtub crying my eyes out while drinking kool aid. Quite the picture right? 

You're probably wondering what exactly I did..

No laughing. Promise! 

Just kidding you'll probably laugh then send me a cookbook through the mail. 





Last night the farmer asked for me to cook dinner for him.

I searched through one of my favorite cookbooks for an amaizng dish. I don't eat much fish but that catfish baked in a paper bag was looking pretty good. No lie. 
So I went to the store and bought the fish, I got all the ingredients, I even bought the brown paper bags and twine. I followed the recipe EXACTLY how it said. 

I even burnt my entire hand up trying to fix this fish! My hand is still sore and it looks like plastic where it got burnt. ((I went to grab the bag and I grabbed the rack instead. 

**FISH GETS DONE**

Well, my grandma eats fish, so I knew she'd be able to tell me if it was good and done. So I got her to try a small piece.

 "EWWWWWW!!! Gross! That's disgusting! It's like sushi! Not good and not done!" 

I stood there taking in all the "nasty fish" comments. Then in an angry rage I grabbed all six bags of fish and threw them in the trash, grabbed my kool aid and headed to my tub. 

If they are that bad why on earth would I serve them to the guy i'm going to be marrying? 

I laid in the tub crying like a baby. 
I called the farmer and told him I wanted to just go get pizza.
I was having a full blown cry baby meltdown. 
He said no and that everything was going to be okay and I just needed to calm down and set it aside. 

No, it wasn't the criticism of my grandmother. 
But the fact that I can't cook fish. 

I can cook comfort food, healthy food, mexican food, italian food, etc.
But not fish. 

My grandmother fried the rest of the catfish that had been in the package and after my meltdown I made jalapeno poppers and okra. 
When the Farmer got home and heard what had happened he sat me down and told me that if I ever get that annoyed with food that I just need to set it aside and wait for him to get home and he will fix it.
I know this may not be the last time I have a good cry over disgusting dinner but at least now I know that I won't be kicked to the curb for it. 

It's nice to know that I'm marrying a man who is willing to help fix my problems but I need to learn how to cook fish. SO anyone have any good fish recipes? 

1 comment:

  1. Fish is so hard to get right. You have to get it done, but still keep it soft . . . Once in New Orleans I had a piece of fish that was so perfect that I asked the Chef what his secret was. He said he put a pat of butter on the fish in the oven, and when it melted the fish was done. However, I don't think that's going to work with "Paper Bag Catfish".

    Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete