Friday, January 20, 2017

Dumpling Recipe

Photo Creds: Eat At Home 

The entire time I was engaged I joked with people about my inability to cook good. Well, what people failed to realize was that I can cook, I just hate to clean up after I cook. I am one of the messiest cooks EVER. I had fun cleaning up the kitchen after this recipe. I had flour EVERYWHERE but I have to admit, making dumplings was pretty fun.

My farmer had been craving chicken and dumplings and well, this girl right here had never made chicken and dumplings in her life. MY ENTIRE LIFE. 

My grandmothers all cook chicken & dumplings like champs but me? How could I make a good pot of chicken and dumplings when I am a straight rookie to this field? So I did what most millennials do and I googled. and I researched. and I googled. and I flipped through cookbooks. and I googled some more. 

Then, on a food website I found this recipe for chicken and dumplings. My farmer and I both agreed that something was missing and we both think it was something to do with the chicken part, not the dumplings. Because those dumplings were THE BEST I have ever had in my life. They were fluffy and just wow. I've included the recipe for the dumplings but not the chicken broth part. I want to try a few minor changes before I give you the full thing but if you already know what you like with your dumplings then here is a great recipe for them! 

You will need: 
  • 2 Cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tsp. baking powder
  • 1 Tsp. salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable shortening (I use Crisco) 
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Photo Creds: Delishably 
  • 1/2 Cup milk
In a large bowl, you're going to mix up the flour, salt, baking powder, and shortening with a fork. 

Add the egg and 1/2 cup milk, mix it to form a dough. It is very sticky at this point. 

Roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured surface. I had to add some extra flour at this point because it was sticking to my rolling pin so much that it rolled all the way back up. 

Cut the dough into four inch strips with a sharp knife. Don't try to cut this sticky stuff with a dern butter knife! 

Next you want to drop them into a simmering chicken broth (the stuff that I have to tweak).

Cover and simmer until the dumplings are done. You can tell they're done by sticking a toothpick in them. If it comes out clean then they're done. 

Add your chicken and 1 cup of milk and then cook 10 more minutes. 

THEN YOU'RE DONE!! 

I will be posting the full recipe once I get it tweaked a little more. My farmer suggested using a creamy soup instead of the homemade chicken broth that I had originally made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment