Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Scratch Recipe Project

Photo Credit: Farmhouse Touches 

My Journey with Cooking from Scratch

When the farmer and I got married I could cook about 4 dishes. They consisted mainly of spaghetti, ramen noodles, macaroni and cheese from a box and cereal. I was the WORST when it came to cooking. I still am from time to time. 
But one day he walked into the house and the entire kitchen was covered in white flour. Picture me in the center of the kitchen sitting on the floor watching my chicken timer with my apron on and my face, the apron, the cabinets, the floor and everything has a thin layer of flour on it. 

Can you see my husband's face now?



It was that face he has when he's like, "Uh, Adrian? Is this a mental breakdown in the process?" 
But I just looked at him while holding my chicken timer. "We have five minutes left Kevin. Five minutes!" He gave me a look and then turned to the huge pot on the stove. As soon as he lifted the lid he smelled something that is familiar to anyone who was raised in the South. Chicken and Dumplings. 
Photo Credit: Local Milk

Let me tell you something about Kevin, he loves some chicken and dumplings. I can also put down some dumplings. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.   I jumped up and grabbed my wooden spoon. I dove straight in to "test" the dumplings. Perfection. The farmer tried some in his bowl and his eyes lit up. "You cooked this?" I nodded and smiled real cheesy. I had made his eyes light up with my fluffy dumplings. It was in that moment that I decided that I would try to cook from scratch at least one time each week. I wanted to be able to impress him with my cooking and make his eyes sparkle many more times. 

"The Art of Scratch."


When I first began this project of mine I thought, "I have to get on Pinterest!" And so I did! I went straight to Pinterest and created a board called "Lady of the Farm: The Scratch Recipe Project" . I then filled the board with memories. 

What? Memories? You mean pins? 

Photo Credit: Call me Cupcake 
Well, no. When I was little I used to go to my nanas every Sunday afternoon and we would all bake. My cousins, sister and I would have tea parties after helping nana bake cakes. Its one of the things I do actually remember from my childhood. I don't remember if nana baked those cakes from scratch but to a 8 year old it sure did seem like it! So go on over and check out my board filled with handwritten recipes, beautiful pictures of food and country kitchens and of course a few "How to" recipes!  

Let me know how you like it by commenting below! Also, be sure to share your own "from scratch" recipes with me by contacting me or facebook messaging them to me. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of cooking from scratch once a week. Great Pinterest board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's turning out to be a pretty fun project! Gathering veggies from our garden and mixing that with cooking from scratch is saving us alot of money! (and alot of trips to town)

      Delete