Monday, June 12, 2017

Smells of the Farm

Today the farm has had a familiar smell to it. Ever since I was little I've associated smells with places. Like my pediatrician's office when I was little smelled like skunk. My dentist office smelled like minty gum. My school smelled like peach candy. My yard smelled like honeysuckle. My family's mountain house in North Carolina was no exception to this "smell memory" I had.
The farm in North Carolina is beautiful. It has a little cottage on top of a hill, a big red barn, a creek in the back yard, and plenty of places to explore. It has a peculiar smell to it. Possibly the smell of wild flowers and cow poop mixing but it's the smell that I have always associated with the farm in North Carolina. 

Today when I was feeding and watering the chickens I smelled "that smell". That smelly smell. The kind of smell that you smell in North Carolina. I took it in. Deep Breath. 

Maybe I was breathing in cow poop and God knows what but it took me back to North Carolina. It took me back to right after the rain falls and the mist is still lingering in the hills. It's so beautiful up there after the rainfall. 

Y'all tell me I ain't the only one that associates these smells with some place or time in your life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment